Certain local goals for governance
reform were identified on the following criteria:
The goals advocated are:
- Right to information (more...)
- Citizen's Charters (more...)
- Empowerment of local governments
- Empowerment of stake-holders
- Access to school education for all
- Speedy justice through rural courts
- Toilets for every household.
Public opinion is mobilized on a large
scale though various mass campaigns:
- Signature campaigns
- Public meetings
- Mass media
- Silent marches
- Posters and pamphlets
- Mobilizing stake-holder groups
- In several local offices right to information has been
- 9 Citizen's Charters have been achieved.(more...)
- Sarpanches of gram panchayats and municipalities have been
successfully mobilized, and government was forced to partially empower local governments.
- Water Users' Societies (of farmers) and school education
committees (of parents) have been given legal recognition.
- State government responded to pressure by launching a large
programme of household toilets.