Citizens' groups get together locally under the banner of Lok Satta and resort to collective, informed assertion for better governance.
A People's Charter has been published and released after meticulous research. This document is a precise guide for various public services, and enables local assertion.
Lok Satta's name recognition and credibility give local people the power and confidence to intervene and improve the quality of public services.
A whole range of issues from birth certificate to registration, and from police complaints to passports are covered in the People's Watch movement.
- Petrol bunks are monitored by citizens and short delivery has been effectively stopped in all the 1500 petrol stations of Andhra Pradesh.
- In many cities the touts at the property registration offices were forced to refund the bribes collected.
- The State government responded to the public pressure generated by the movement, and Citizen's Charters are being framed in nine departments. [link for more 24]
- Over 10,000 youngsters have been trained in the technique of citizen assertion.
- Thousands of local initiatives are made possible applying the knowledge and technique.
- Lok Satta has acquired the stature to give confidence to ordinary citizens to fight against corruption, delay and harassment.