... Lok Satta ... What is Lok Satta ... Mission ... Emblem ... Objectives ...
People's Watch Swarajya Movement Election Watch Research & Documentation Specific Campaigns Publications National Networking Electoral Reform Impact of Movement
Structure Key People
Marriage Registration......

You can also download the Sub Registrar Form,District Registrar Form


  • If you wish to have your marriage registered, you must approach the Sub-Registrar of marriages and assurances for the area. He is the same official of registration department who also registers sale deeds etc.
  • If you wish to register a Hindu marriage, then the following procedure must be followed:
    • The groom must be at least 21 years old and the bride must be at least 18 years old.
    • An applications form A (form) must be filled out and presented to the Sub-Registrar
    • Prescribed fee for registration is Rs.10/-
    • You must attend the Sub-Registrar's office along with your spouse and two witnesses, preferably parents of the couple.
    • You must produce evidence of marriage like wedding card, photographs etc
    • The Sub-Registrar can register the marriage within 6 months after the event.
  • If the marriage is to be registered after 6 months, you will have to apply to the District Registrar concerned in the application form for condonation of delay (form) If you wish to register the marriage after 3 years, you will have to apply to the Inspector General of Registration in Hyderabad for condonation of delay in the same form. Registration at the venue of marriage:
  • If you wish to register the marriage at the venue, then you must apply for registration and ask for the Sub-Registrar's presence. The following fees must be paid to secure the Sub-Registrar's presence. Application fee Rs.10/-
    • Fee Rs.15/-
    • Transport charges for the Sub-Registrar
    • If the wedding is outside the Sub-Registrar's headquarter, then the daily allowance has to be paid as prescribed by government
    Registration of a marriage under Special Marriages Act
  • A marriage can be registered under Special Marriages Act if it is not solemnized in a religious ritual. For such a marriage to be registered at the time of the wedding, you must apply at least a month in advance and fulfil the following conditions:
    • The bride must be at least 18 years of age and the groom must be at least 21 years of age. Proof of age must be furnished
    • Application with fee of Rs.10/- must be paid
    • A notice fee of Rs.2/- must be paid
    • A notice of 30 days will be given by Sub-Registrar to the public to raise objections if any. The notice will be displayed on his notice board.
    • If any one wishes to object to the marriage he must then pay an objection fee of Rs.50/- and file the objection petition stating reason (eg., the bride or groom is underaged or there is no fee consent or one of the partners is already married etc.)
    • The Sub-Registrar will enquire into the objection and if he finds that the objection is valid, the registration application will be rejected.
    • If there is no valid objections, the marriage will be registered after 30 days
  • Registration of a marriage can be done under Special Marriages Act after the marriage in the same manner as a Hindu Marriage registration. However, there is a separate application, and witnesses and evidence of marriage must be produced.

About Us
Lok Satta
What is Lok Satta?
People's Watch
Swarajya movement
Election Watch
Research and
Specific campaigns

National networking
Electoral reform
Lok Satta Times
Impact of movement
What's New
Key People
Contact Us
Lok Satta in News
Home | About Us | Activities | Organisation | F.A.Q | Contact Us | In The News
2000 LOK SATTA, All Rights Reserved.