- Election Commission estimates that over 700 of the 4072 legislators
in States have a criminal record against them. The nexus between
politics and crime has played havoc with crime control and rule
- Criminals have an incentive to control politics, and through
it the police.
- Crime investigation today is controlled by elected governments
through various mechanisms. Combination of several functions in
the same police force enables politicians to control crime investigation
through transfers, postings, promotions, launching of prosecution,
withdrawal of cases, parole and other mechanisms.
- Law breakers thus not only become law makers; they also control
Lok Satta's objective
- Crime investigation wing of police to be separate and independent
of political control
- Independent prosecutors under quasi- judicial supervision as
a constitutional institution. Appointed by a collegium
- All crime investigation, prosecution and the concerned police
service matters to be controlled by the independent prosecution
- Paroles and pardons to be decided on the recommendation of
the independent prosecution wing.